Pupil progress in constantly monitored by instrumental teachers and pupil/parent co-operation is encouraged. There are several key elements to the monitoring system:
- Practice books are used to encourage regular practice and provide a means of communication between pupils, parents and teachers.
- Each term targets are set with the pupils. These provide manageable goals for pupils to work towards.
- The progress of each pupil is recorded in staff records creating an individual music education plan for each pupil.
- Reports are sent to parents at the end of the academic year. They include general remarks and a summary of pupil achievements against their targets.
- Teachers enter pupils for examinations when they are ready. This is another good way of monitoring progress. Music Service examinations are free.